Original guest article by Jai Singh
Robert Spencer’s pivotal role in the international anti-Muslim propaganda network has been extensively documented. In conjunction with Pamela Geller and a range of anti-Muslim allies, Spencer’s actions are continuing to escalate, particularly via his SIOA/SION/AFDI organisations. Furthermore, Spencer was one of the most heavily cited sources of “information” on Islam in the mass-murdering terrorist Anders Breivik’s manifesto; in fact, Breivik explicitly stated “About Islam, I recommend essentially everything written by Robert Spencer”. Spencer & Geller are also closely affiliated with the California-based filmmakers whose anti-Mohammad film has triggered numerous protests across the world. (Also see here).
It is therefore worth summarising the following facts about Robert Spencer, for the public record:
1. Robert Spencer has repeatedly made false statements about Islam and Muslims. A lengthy selection from a very long list of examples highlighting Spencer’s misinformation is available here, here, here, and here.
2. As a result of an interview he gave to the Washington Times in 2003, Robert Spencer is on record as publicly admitting that his actions are heavily motivated by his agenda for the dominance of the Catholic Church.
3. Considering that Pamela Geller heavily bases her claims about Islam & Muslims on Robert Spencer’s writings, it is presently unclear whether Geller is complicit in Spencer’s agenda or whether she has herself been tricked by Spencer.
4. Current official Vatican policy on Islam & Muslims is actually the complete opposite of Robert Spencer’s own claims, despite Spencer’s unilateral actions in the Catholic Church’s name.
5. Robert Spencer’s anti-Muslim propaganda is identical to the Third Reich-era Nazi Julius Streicher’s anti-Semitic propaganda.
6. As detailed in #10 of the article above, even Robert Spencer’s disingenuous argument in his own defence is identical to Julius Streicher’s statements at the time.
7. Due to the nature and horrific consequences of Julius Streicher’s propaganda, during the Nuremburg Trials the United States convicted Julius Streicher of crimes against humanity.
8. Robert Spencer is now formally allied with European neo-Nazis, and has even begun organising joint public demonstrations with them.
9. Robert Spencer is also now formally allied with the English Defence League/British Freedom Party, who are themselves now allied with the aforementioned European neo-Nazis.
—– The EDL have been forcefully condemned by a very long list of British Sikh temples & organisations, including the two largest Sikh temples outside India (see: here and here). One of those organisations, the Guru Nanak Nishkam Sewak Jatha, is headed by an internationally respected British Sikh leader who represents the global Sikh community at the Parliament of the World’s Religions and is himself very closely affiliated with the global Sikh authorities at the Golden Temple complex in Amritsar; he was also invited to address the UN General Assembly in New York. Furthermore, not only has the Sikh leader concerned been given an award by England’s Queen for his organisation’s exemplary humanitarian activities, but he has also recently received the rare honour of formally being declared a Knight by the Catholic Church due to his numerous interfaith bridge-building efforts, a fact that must be particularly galling for Robert Spencer himself.
—– In November 2011, the EDL leadership released a public statement on their official Facebook page, in which they confirmed that their agenda is racially-motivated, repeatedly using terminology prevalent amongst “white nationalists”, including neo-Nazis. Screenshot here.
—– EDL leader/BFP deputy leader Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka “Tommy Robinson”) has repeatedly promoted neo-Nazi material, including European neo-Nazi groups along with Hitler-supporting, anti-Semitic, white supremacist neo-Nazi websites; full details of the most recent incident available here.
—– As a result of an interview he gave to the Norwegian media, in April 2012, Yaxley-Lennon is on record as publicly praising Anders Breivik, promoting Breivik’s manifesto, and claiming that Breivik’s mass-murdering terrorist attack would have been “easier to justify” if the people killed had been Muslims. Full details here and here.
—– After the recent verdict in Anders Breivik’s trial, Yaxley-Lennon has continued to publicly endorse Breivik’s propaganda. Full details here, here, and here.
—– In March 2010, BFP leader Paul Weston wrote an article published on the virulently anti-Muslim website Gates of Vienna, titled “The Ethnic Cleansing of the English”. Weston’s article is openly racist. The article also repeatedly implies that anyone non-white is automatically “Muslim”, whom Weston proceeds to caricature & demonise in the worst terms.
—– Along with Robert Spencer, Gates of Vienna was of course one of the most heavily cited sources of “information” in Anders Breivik’s manifesto.
—– Robert Spencer’s claims about the Prophet Mohammad allegedly being a paedophile are well-known; the EDL leadership have publicly confirmed their intention to promote such propaganda, which Yaxley-Lennon himself has publicly promoted numerous times. The accusation is also being used to caricature & demonise Muslims en masse. However, it is worth noting that one of the EDL’s main founders, Richard Price, is a convicted criminal for multiple counts of downloading child pornography; at the time, Yaxley-Lennon initially tried to excuse this, and then launched a campaign to try to free Price from prison. Details here and here. The EDL leadership also released an official statement defending Price, written by Yaxley-Lennon (screenshot here). Multiple screenshots of EDL members defending/supporting Price online here.