Robert George was recently appointed to the USCRIF along with Zuhdi Jasser. In the video below George is clearly unwilling to answer the question about whether or not he sees a contradiction between his stated position of “supporting Muslim rights” while at the same time serving on the board of a foundation well known for funding anti-Muslim organizations:
Posted by Kristin Ford (Faith in Public Life)
Last November, Fear, Inc., an extensive Center for American Progress report, revealed who was funding prominent anti-Islam organizations. One of the financial sponsors of Islamophobia they unearthed was the Bradley Foundation.
As we noted, prominent Catholic intellectual Robert George sits on the board of this foundation and hasn’t reconciled this position with his ostensible public commitment to defending the religious freedom of Muslims
Nick caught up with Robert George today at an event hosted by Georgetown University’s Berkley Center and asked about this contradiction:
Here’s what Nick asked and George’s response:
FAITH IN PUBLIC LIFE: So you don’t see a conflict between your being on a board that has funded these things, as public knowledge, and your personal beliefs about this?
GEORGE: My record is very clear. I will not discuss with you confidential matters that go on in the Bradley Board. The Bradley Foundation does fund many, many different organizations. Some of them are run by Muslims, some of them are trying to advance good relations between Muslims and other American citizens and that’s all I have to say on the matter.
As you can see, George refused to discuss the issue, but didn’t deny the facts. He apparently thinks it’s acceptable to simultaneously stand up for Muslims’ religious freedom in public and participate in the work of an organization that’s trying to dismantle that very right. George might not see an ethical conflict here, but we do, and we’d be interested to see if the Muslim Americans he works with see that contradiction as well.
Here’s a reminder of who the people the Bradley Foundation funds, via the Fear, Inc. report:
- Described Muslims in the Middle East as “Islamic Nazis” who “want to kill Jews, that’s their agenda.”
- Alleges that Muslim Student Associations at American schools “are Wahhabi Islamicists, and they basically support our enemies.”
- Promulgates the debunked smear that 80% of U.S. mosques are controlled by radicals
- Describes his Legal Project website as “a source of information on ‘Islamist lawfare’–that is, attempts by supporters of radical Islam to suppress free discourse on Islam and terrorism by (1) exploiting Western legal systems and traditions and (2) recruiting state actors and international organizations such as the United Nations.”
- Claims President Obama is a former Muslim who “practiced Islam.”
- Said “It is now public knowledge that nearly every major Muslim organization in the United States is actually controlled by the MB [Muslim Brotherhood] or a derivative organization. Consequently, most of the Muslim American groups of any prominence in America are now known to be, as a matter of fact, hostile to the United States and its Constitution.”
- Alleged that there is “mounting evidence that the president not only identifies with Muslims, but actually may still be one himself.”
- Believes that conservative paragon Grover Norquist is running a “Muslim Brotherhood influence operation” to infiltrate the conservative movement.